Updated: Jan 16, 2019
This easy to make no-churn chocolate hemp ice-cream is seriously the scoop! It's dairy-free, soy-free, vegan and most importantly, delicious! Made with hemp milk, this simple recipe can satisfy that sweet tooth, while providing your body with healthy nutrients and vitamins!
Hemp milk is the hemp nut (or heart, which is the inside of the hemp seed), blended with water and other natural sweeteners. According to the Global Healing Center, an 8-ounce glass of hemp milk contains the following healthy nutrients and more:
900 mg omega-3 fatty acid
2800 mg omega-6 fatty acid
All 10 essential amino acids
4 grams digestible, plant protein
46 % of RDA of Calcium
0 % Cholesterol
We've included a base recipe with two options for a coffee chocolate chip (pictured above topped with cacao nibs, coffee grounds and hemp hearts) or mint chocolate chip ice-cream (pictured below.) Try them out and see which one is your favorite! Or even better, get creative and add your own ingredients!
- (2) 14-ounce cans coconut cream OR full fat coconut milk, chilled overnight in the fridge.
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa or cacao powder powder
- 14-16 ounces pitted dates (if not sticky and moist, soak in warm water for 10 minutes then drain)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chocolate hemp milk (We like to use Pacfic Foods and you can find it at your local Kroger, Whole Foods, Trader Joes or health food store.)
- 1-ounce coffee, cooled
- 6-8 leaves fresh mint (crushed, fine)
- Cacao nibs
Prep. Time: 30 minutes
Serves 10 - 12
(1) Place a large mixing bowl in the freezer to chill for 10 minutes.
(2) In the meantime, add moist, pitted dates to a food processor and process until small bits remain. Then add hot water a little at a time until it forms a thick paste. Set aside.
(3) Without tipping the cans, scoop out the coconut cream from the cans of coconut cream OR coconut milk, reserving the clear liquid for other uses. Place in chilled mixing bowl.
NOTE: If you're using coconut milk, you'll likely use less sweetener because there's less volume.