Updated: Jan 16, 2019
This easy to make no-churn chocolate hemp ice-cream is seriously the scoop! It's dairy-free, soy-free, vegan and most importantly, delicious! Made with hemp milk, this simple recipe can satisfy that sweet tooth, while providing your body with healthy nutrients and vitamins!
Hemp milk is the hemp nut (or heart, which is the inside of the hemp seed), blended with water and other natural sweeteners. According to the Global Healing Center, an 8-ounce glass of hemp milk contains the following healthy nutrients and more:
900 mg omega-3 fatty acid
2800 mg omega-6 fatty acid
All 10 essential amino acids
4 grams digestible, plant protein
46 % of RDA of Calcium
0 % Cholesterol
We've included a base recipe with two options for a coffee chocolate chip (pictured above topped with cacao nibs, coffee grounds and hemp hearts) or mint chocolate chip ice-cream (pictured below.) Try them out and see which one is your favorite! Or even better, get creative and add your own ingredients!
- (2) 14-ounce cans coconut cream OR full fat coconut milk, chilled overnight in the fridge.
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa or cacao powder powder
- 14-16 ounces pitted dates (if not sticky and moist, soak in warm water for 10 minutes then drain)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chocolate hemp milk (We like to use Pacfic Foods and you can find it at your local Kroger, Whole Foods, Trader Joes or health food store.)
- 1-ounce coffee, cooled
- 6-8 leaves fresh mint (crushed, fine)
- Cacao nibs
Prep. Time: 30 minutes
Serves 10 - 12
(1) Place a large mixing bowl in the freezer to chill for 10 minutes.
(2) In the meantime, add moist, pitted dates to a food processor and process until small bits remain. Then add hot water a little at a time until it forms a thick paste. Set aside.
(3) Without tipping the cans, scoop out the coconut cream from the cans of coconut cream OR coconut milk, reserving the clear liquid for other uses. Place in chilled mixing bowl.
NOTE: If you're using coconut milk, you'll likely use less sweetener because there's less volume.
(4) Using a mixer, whip until creamy and smooth. Then add cocoa powder, vanilla, chocolate hemp milk and half of the date paste. Whip until fully incorporated.
(5) Taste and add/adjust flavors as needed. (For coffee chip, add 2 tbsp. cacao nibs and the cooled coffee, for mint chocolate chip add fresh crushed mint and cacao nibs.)
(6) Transfer to a parchment-lined freezer-safe container and cover loosely with plastic wrap, then foil to help freeze.
(7) You can take this out in a couple of hours for a chilled mousse-like ice cream. Freeze overnight for a firmer ice cream.
(8) Set out for at least 20 minutes prior to scooping, and use a scoop warmed under hot water for a proper scoop.
(9) Will keep in the freezer for up to one week, but best when fresh.
(10) Top with hemp hearts, cacao bits or fresh mint, serve and enjoy!
(Mint chocolate chip hemp ice-cream topped with cacao nibs, hemp hearts and fresh chocolate mint.)